Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Surprise!

For awhile now, Todd has been lying to me. I guess weeks ago, he talked my friends from KC, Becky and Jeremy, into coming down to Phoenix to visit. But he didn't tell me about it. He instead told me that an "old buddy of his" that he worked with at the Embassy was flying into town for the night. He said he offered them to stay at our house for the night. At first I thought nothing of it. But, as I always do, I started asking a ton of questions.

Why is this guy coming into town? He said to visit family.
Why isn't this guy staying at the Embassy if he worked there? He said he USED to work at the Embassy
Why is this guy coming into town alone? He said he was coming with his wife.
What is his wife like? He said he never met her before, so he wasn't sure.
What kind of people come into town for one night and then leave? He said they were driving up to visit family the next morning and didn't want to drive late at night.
What is this "buddy's" name? He told me Jay.

Now, there is something you must know about my best friends and I. We refer to people by their first initial. Mostly because we text and email so much to each other, it was always easier that way. I'm "V," Abby's "A", Becky's "B," Todd is "T," Jeremy is "J." However, when he told me that "Jay" was coming into town (he emailed it to me) he spelled it Jay. Little did I know it was actually J!

Anyways, I was emailing with Abby during the week. She asked what my plans for the weekend were. I told her a list of stuff. Among that list was that someone old friend of Todd's was coming into town for the night. I was actually a little bothered by it. I always love meeting new people, but I didn't know this person yet, and I especially didn't know his wife. The women are always hit or miss; either you hit it off from the start, or she's someone you just don't mesh well with. Then you have to work hard to have fun with her.

Anyways, as always, I went to the airport with Todd to pick these people up with high hopes. Todd and I share lots of interests and lots of friends, so these people shouldn't be any different, right? While we were waiting, Todd was putting his arm around me. I didn't think anything of that because he's usually always pretty affectionate :) But he was grabbing me and pulling me towards him, and his arm was pulling my hair. It was bugging me, so I kept trying to move his arm. He finally turned me towards him in a normal hug and we talked as we waited. All of the sudden, he said, "oh, they are here." I turned around and started yelling "Oh my God, Oh my God!" It was my good friends, Becky and Jeremy! I was in shock! I was expecting to meet some random people for the first time, and it was two of my best friends! I started tearing up, of course. So unlike me.... :) And people in the airport were staring at us because I was creating a spectacle.

They were actually here for the whole weekend. I had no idea about any of it. It was such an awesome surprise to see my friends from KC! So we were off to dinner together. I had actually suggested Z Tejas before I even knew. Todd had told me they wanted to grab some food after they landed, so I had thought of that during the day when I drove by. It's in Tempe near my work, and I had heard good things about it. It lived up to its expectations: it was good! I ordered the seafood enchiladas. I can't quite remember what everyone had, but we all tried our dishes and they were all great.

After dinner, we went back to our house in Laveen. We relaxed for the night on our new comfy couch and some drinks. Well, the girls had wine. It was a new one I found at the store, "Gnaughty Vines." It was a $30 bottle for $16, so what a great reason to open it up!


Todd and I relaxing after dinner.

Becky and Jeremy relaxing after dinner.

The next day (Saturday), all four of us went shopping at an outlet mall in Anthem up North. Becky and I each got a new Guess purse at the Guess outlet. The boys each got a bunch of new clothes.

Todd had planned the evening for Saturday. We started with reservations at a Pizzeria and wine bar in Old Town Scottsdale. Grazie was the name, and we ate outside on the patio. The girls wanted to order vegetarian pizza. We ordered two pizzas, and salads to share. But the vegetarian pizza turned out to be the best thing on the menu! Soooo good! We also ordered the chocolate calzone for dessert. It was pizza dough folded in half, stuffed with chocolate hazelnut sauce and bananas, topped with ice cream. YUM!

All of us at dinner.

Jeremy hogging the dessert.

Becky and Jeremy at dinner.

Todd and I at dinner.

Becky and I at dinner.

On to another bar, Devil's Martini, after dinner. One thing you should know about me is that I love to dance! As long as there is good music, and good company, I can dance for hours. I used to go out dancing with the girls in KC whenever I got the chance. And of course, in college! And even before that.... I've always loved it. Becky and I have gone out a couple of times alone together, just to dance all night. I have really been missing my girls nights out with all the dancing. Saturday night we had a lot of catching up to do!

Todd with Gabe and Shiner.

Me crying because I didn't want B & J to ever leave!!

Todd apparently comforting me because I was crying.

Becky and I getting the party started.

We moved the party to a box :)

And then to the "pole" in the middle.

The boys were snapping lots of pictures all night.

Becky and I.... me not crying.

Todd and Jeremy. Todd was the DD that night. He also is wearing new going out clothes he got that morning.

I just like this picture :)

Sunday morning we got up and had to take B & J to the airport for a 1pm flight. We went to lunch and had yummy Mexican food. Then dropped them off at Sky Harbor. I didn't cry this time! It was such a fun weekend and such a surprise!

No comments:

Post a Comment