Friday, October 9, 2009

Weekend in Omaha

Last weekend we headed to Omaha, NE because two of Todd's old college friends were getting married. We flew out Friday night (free thanks to my flight benefits). We had reservations to stay at the Marriott of course. They had an airport shuttle, but we were told it didn't run after 11, and our flight got in at 11:30. As we were leaving the airport, however, we ran into the Marriott shuttle van. It turns out that it only picks up airport crews after 11. So he let us jump on, and the crew from our own flight hopped in the van as well! We made it to the hotel and we met up with our friends, John and Kelly, for a little while.
The next day we were up bright and early as usual for a football Saturday. We went across the street from our hotel to a bar that was playing the Iowa game. Some of the other crew made it into town by then and joined us. Two of our friends from Sioux City (Aryon and Jennica) drove up Saturday just to see us while we were in town.



Jennica and I

Kelly and I

Todd and Aryon

The bar had a theater style seating area. I've never seen anything like it in a bar, so I had to take a picture of all the men probably escaping from their wives to watch football at a bar! Ha!


Todd and I at Jen and Mike's wedding

John and I

Trying to take a self-portrait.
It was a fun weekend. The wedding reception included an open bar all night with top shelf liquor. That couldn't have been cheap....The reception was inside an old Railroad Station turned Museum. It was also only 3 blocks from our hotel. It was nice to be able to walk everywhere all weekend. Although the walk home at the end of the wedding night was freezing!! Besides my wedding shoes, the only shoes I brought back for the weekend were flip flops. Not a good idea! Its amazing how quickly you get used to warmer weather. The heat in our hotel room was also broken the first night we were there! Thank goodness they got that fixed.
I did spent a little time down in "Old Market." Its a quaint, cute part of Omaha that has original brick streets and buildings. Its full of great restaurants and unique shops. I went shopping with the girls down there Saturday, and Todd and I ate breakfast there on Sunday at this awesome breakfast buffet that reminded me of Iowa River Power Co in Iowa City.
We were a little nervous about making it back to Phoenix on a flight. The flights were pretty full, and since we were flying standby, we weren't sure we could get on. Lucky us, my priority level got us on, but a couple of people below my priority didn't make it on the flight.



No comments:

Post a Comment